Thursday, March 15, 2012

Stupid People

Funny Retro Magnet 26: Did you eat a bowl of stupid?

This post is not going to be nice.  You will find as you stay tuned to this blog that by Thursday afternoons I have had it.  For four days, I have been dealing with clients and other lawyers and unfortunately in my line of work that means my phone conversations and interactions end up being quite frustrating!  I will share some highlights - a client who for weeks has been asking me to file his divorce papers, calling everyday to see if his wife had been served, emailing constantly, telling me way to much information about the affair his wife was having (WAY TOO MUCH), had her served, the next day he calls to ask me to file a Dismissal- they are working it out.  Don't get me wrong I am happy they are going to work on their marriage but really- did you have to email me all weekend????

Next, a DHS worker who basically tells me my client is just being dramatic because they are upset that their child has had lice the entire time in the foster care system (almost a year) because all kids get lice at some point- um NO!!!!

The client who for the 20th time asks what the status of his case even though he has an outstanding bill of $6000 and  have told him repeatedly that nothing will be done until he pays- yet he still looks at me dumb founded- every time.

Or the opposing counsel who calls me "little lady" or "darling" or says I make his blood pressure rise because I argue with him- really?  can you believe men still treat professionals this way- ugh.

I will admit this- I do not actually like be a lawyer most days- there are moments here and there but I should have known that when I did not like most people in law school I would not like alot of my fellow attorneys or the practice of law.  Now I do like my job- meaning I like my coworkers, I like the arrangement (4 days a week) and I like the paycheck.  But overall there is alot I would rather be doing and I dream of my future career change- maybe a counselor, physician assistant, hair dresser- who knows, but it is fun to dream, right?

Truth be told most days I can maintain a positive attitude because if not being happy with my career choice is my biggest cross to bear I am pretty darn lucky.  I repeat to myself "You do what you have to do so that you can do what you want to do"  and I try and plan vacations, shopping trips, buy toys for my kids etc to have things to look forward to remind me why I do this.  But by Thursdays, when I have been away from my kids for four days straight and dealt with one too many "stupid" people- I tend to loose that positive attitude.  So here is to Thursdays - my most frustrating yet best day of the week because now I leave work and am a mom only for 3 days straight!

1 comment: