Friday, March 16, 2012

Thank you random stranger!

I will admit- with my second who for purposes of this blog will be called Angel Baby (even though this is not always an accurate characterization but if I believe it maybe it will become true) I sometimes get a little overwhelmed. Angel Baby is a true second child and a boy to boot.  Which means he is incredibly strong willed, does not listen the way my first did, but at the same time has a personality that everyone loves.  I often feel that when I have both kids in tow I look that "that mom"- you know the ones I am talking about- that look strung out and you just hope to yourself that you never look that her.  She looks like she has no idea what she is doing and her kids are just running the show.  For instance, this morning I took both kids to Kohls and it was appropriate that I had on workout clothes because by the end of the trip I was drenched in sweat.  This older lady just shook her head at me as Angel Baby was screaming to press the buttons at check out and I just wanted to yell- "what are you looking at- do you remember what it feels like to have a 22 month old and 3 year!!!!!"  She probably could have been written about in my last post titled "Stupid People."  However, a little while later, a perfect stranger surprised me and made my day- read on.

On Fridays, my three year old who we shall call Princess takes gymnastics.  As a working mom whose only day to stay home besides the weekend is friday I try to overcompensate and make sure we always do something fun on that day to make up for the 4 I am not there.  I really should be running errands but I just can't do that to my children on our one day together.  So I enrolled both in gymnastics- Princess goes by herself and Angel Baby and I are in the mommy and me class.  Well lets just say Angel Baby is not very into the mommy and me class- he does not want to do what our class is doing, he tries to join other classes and basically I spend the entire hour chasing him down and trying to keep him from running into the bathrooms.  At gymnastics, there is a viewing area for the parents to sit who do not have to be in the gym with their little ones- I often feel like the entire viewing area is staring at me and Angel Baby with either pity or confusion and wondering what the hell I am thinking.  But today, when I was about to just start crying because I had to take Angel Baby outside AGAIN to tell him to listen to his teacher or he could not go back in- a wonderful stranger walked by me and said- "you are a good mom"  It was like God was speaking to me telling me I am doing my best and to not give up and boy did I need that.  Angel Baby did not all of a sudden become the perfect student but he did participate and we survived and for once I did not feel like someone was about to call child protective services on me- I consider that a win!

1 comment: